Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Excuses Excuses

I learnt how to talk myself into a positive mindset when I was training for the Half Marathon in 2008. A big factor in that was a great book called Fitter Faster Stronger Smarter - by Miranda Banks. It is truly a great book for helping to get your head sorted out, focussed and in ther right place.


Another book thatreally helped my to get out and just do it (the training and the good nutrition) was Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway by Susan Jeffers. This one was what got me out of the rut and told me toFormulate a plan and then just jump in - and see it through to the end no matter what - the first one was what allowed me to learn how to get my head right and do it in baby steps.

Thanks to these books and training and completing the Half Marathon - I have a pretty good mindset now when it comes to aiming for a goal and completing it.

But I think there is one golden rule to any goal setting - you have to make up you mind about what you want to achieve, focus on it above all else, and really really want it.

Despite all this - I am not exempt from excuses and the Coach has asked us to examine our excuses in detail and come up with solutions for dealing with these roadblocks when they arise.

The following is often featured on my excuse list:

  • I'm too tired (Internal)
  • I can't be bothered as I would rather stay here on the couch/in bed than get out and get all sweaty (another version is I can't have a shower once I'm done because of the baby and I don't want to spend the day being all sweaty and gross) (Internal)
  • I feel too out of control with life right now and I need to regain control (usually relating to the housework/errands) (Internal)
  • I'm too busy (External)
  •  It's too late in the day (External)
  • It's too Cold (Esp.  in Winter) (External)
  • The baby has woken my up three times  during night and I am exhausted (External - out of realm of control)
SOLUTIONS!!

I need to find/make time- the timeis available, it's just that I choose to spend it doing something that I consider to be more enjoyable - like shopping or having coffe with friends. I need to remind myself of the importance of the goal and put it higher in the list of priorities for the day. Making exercise a priority and sacrificing things that are less important like  TV and inernet browsing.

I have learnt that a "Just Do It" attitude is useful. Once I get in and start exercising I usually get all pumped and want to keep going.  If I am feeling tired, I need to go to bed earlier or have a nap when the baby is napping.

The I feel too out of control one is a bit more complex - as the exercise and food prep time eats into the time I usually spend organising the house and cleaning etc - I just need to suck it up and get it done in these cases.

If it is too late iin the day - I could probably exercise at the latest until 8pm at night. 7pm is not too late to go for a run or get on the spin bike.

It is OK to have a day off exercises if something in my daily circumstances goes awry - there may be a chance to make it up later in the week. However, a 'crisis' (real or perceived) isn't an excuse to turn to comfort food - eating will not make the situation any better. I need to ensure I have healthy food planned, organised and prepared so that I cannot use it as an excuse to not eat well.

A quote that I have found motivating in the past is "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." Earl Nightingale  - So true!

No comments:

Post a Comment