Thursday, July 8, 2010

A bump in the track

It has been a funny old week this week. Got off to a great start and then I hit a bit of a bump as an unexpected position was advertised at my work and I had to get together an application - thus putting everything else on hold.

It really brought to my attention all of the things that I can not do easily since having a baby. Just writing the selection criteria was difficult due to Harris wanting to sit on my lap while I was trying to do it or not being able to spend the two hours in the evening when I get home from work typing in a focussed way because there is a tired hungry baby to contend with. I have also felt up against it working in a part time sense over the past couple of weeks and can understand why it is that some authors are adament that although it is what we have been told all our lives as girls - we simply cannot have it all. (For those who are interested see Virginia Hausseger's book - Wonder Woman - The myth of having it all.)

If you give too much time to your job then the time you get to spend helping to shape and develop your child is put on hold - if you stick to you values and decide to spend more time on family then can you really achieve what you want in your career? Sacrifices have to be made in both cases and I for one find it difficult to find the balance. Sometimes I feel like I have found that balance and it is all working well - other times not so much. (and for another interesting opion on Balance see Here)


That balance is one of the reasons why I chose to stop exercising regularly when I went back to work. in finding that balance - something had to be put aside. While I know that some people would say -  Oh but don't you need to do something for yourself? Stay healthy to be able to be the backbone of the family?

Sure - but what if doing that one thing for yourself feels like a chore and just one more thing that you have to fit in each day? What if that one thing causes so much stress that it causes everything else to suffer? In those cases I think there is a good argument for letting that one thing go for the preservation of mental health.


So coming back to exercise - it all depends on personal priorities. How much do you value and Prioritise exercise? How does it make you feel - not in the sense of those great exercise endorphins - but in the sense of across the flow of the day?


I think that these are important questions to ask in the interest on maintaining balance.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment