Thursday, December 16, 2010

Food Post #2

Well nothing has changed with Harris - not that I expected it to. But I will keep tracking on this path.

I notice that I am getting MUCH better at thinking critically about what a product might contain.

For example - this morning I went to have peanut butter on toast and then I thought about the jar of heavily processed additive laden peanut butter - and reached for the 100% Cashew spread instead.

I think it is really about changing habits and behaviours and simply getting used to the choices that I am making being conscious.

It is kind of like learning how to diet - you just have to get the choices right in your head and be aware when you are making them.

Me on the other hand - Well!

Before I had Harris I went through a period of time where I was feeling really awful and bloated etc etc and after trying numerous different things I eliminated wheat (and most gluten) from my diet. I felt great, the bloating went away, and I lost the weight I had been trying to lose for years without a problem. I was also training for a half marathon at the time - which might have helped.

After I had Harris, it was as if I had never had a problem - as though having a baby had evened out my hormones in some way.

In the last few weeks though I have been having the bloating issues again. I know I am 22 weeks pregnant but I thought to myself after being uncomfortable for weeks that it might just help to stop eating wheat again and see what happens.

So for the last three days I have had no wheat based products (Mostly gluten free) and for three days I have had no bloating. Amazing!
I feel so much better at the end of every day - and so much less pressure around the baby.

Sticking to the change hasn't been difficult at all because the benefits of feeling this much better far outweigh the small pleasure I get from eating something laden with wheat.

I know that it is not very scientific - but hey - whatever works!


post signature

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment about wheat and gluten on my post Andrea. I have been avoided wheat mostly as I know I feel so much better without it. Saying that I did have raisin toast last night.

    I agree the small pleaseure from sugar for me out weighs how much better I feel without it.

    Great to see you are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrea, my eldest had terrible eczema as a baby and toddler. I switched him to soy formula and only gave him home-cooked, additive-free meals when he moved onto solids, but there was no improvement. :(

    Once he stopped teething (with the associated dribbling) and was out of nappies, the worst of the eczema, on his face and poor little bottom, disappeared. He still had odd patches in his elbows and behind his knees but eventually outgrew it. I gave up on the strict diet after six months because it didn't help one bit.

    It may be worth a try for Harris though, some kids do seem to respond. Just don't feel bad if it doesn't work.

    I think I tried every cream and potion on the market - I'm sure I paid for the pharmacist's new Mercedes... :S Weak cortisone mixed with sorbolene was the best I found in the end.

    Personally, I find that my eczema flares up when my dietary fats drop too low. Fish oil and evening primrose oil clear it up fast. I have no idea if that's helpful for toddlers or not though.

    ReplyDelete